So you’re planning to design your engagement ring and wondering what to expect and how to get started. Irish style icon and jewellery designer Grainne Seoige (founder of Grace Diamonds) provides expert advice on how it works, how to get the best results, and provides answers to frequently asked questions.
A summary of what to expect when you design your own engagement ring:
- Receive one-on-one advice from industry experts
- Be involved every step of the way
- Select your own diamond or gemstone
- Customise your ring design with the aid of 3D image mock-ups
- Take home a one-of-a-kind ring that fits your budget
How it Work?
Draft Design – Our designers will start sketching concepts until you find the look that’s just right.
Select Your Stone – Our gemstone partners will procure a selection of diamonds or gemstones, and you’ll get to pick your perfect stone.
Receive a Quote – Based on your stone selection. We provide a quotation for you to approve and pay.
Approve 3D Mock-Up – Our design team creates realistic 3D renders that will accurately resemble what the final ring will look like. This is your last chance to make any design changes.
Receive Your Ring – Skilled and experienced craftsmen will construct your ring in the coming weeks, and you should receive your engagement ring within the timeline provided in the quotation.
How to Get the Best Results?
For a smooth and seamless process:
- Have an idea of what you like and don’t like. If you need inspiration, you can view my Instagram page, Pinterest board, and Inspiration Gallery to help get the creative juices flowing.
- Know your partner’s preferences and budget. If you plan to involve your partner in the process, I would recommend you plan a date and visit a jeweller like Tiffany & Co, where you can talk through different styles, carat and ring sizes, and budgets. Involving your partner in early-stage discussions will help align your shared vision. I am sure you will then be pleasantly surprised at how far your budget goes when you work with us.
- Measure your fiancé-to-be’s ring size. If you don’t know and it’s a surprise, in our consultation, we will outline a few options you can use to get it right the first time!
- Allow enough time. The delivery time will depend on how complicated the design is, and how quickly decisions are made. As a guideline, it can take up to 2 months from our first meeting until you receive the final ring.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How much is my custom engagement ring going to cost?
The price can vary widely depending on the decisions you make along the way. To give you an example, two 1-carat diamonds can range in price from €2,500 – €18,000 depending on the cut, colour and clarity.
That said, the average price of an engagement ring in Ireland costs approximately €4,000 – €5,000. As previously mentioned, if you plan a trip to a jeweller like Tiffany & Co. you can shop around and record the specs you like and use this price as a high-water mark in your budgeting.
When will I see my design? Can I see my design before I pay?
Our design team will sketch design concepts for your review, free of charge. We can provide you with reference examples of similar designs. However, we require payment when you select your stone and before your 3D render is created.
How long will it take until I receive my ring?
Typically, your custom engagement ring will take approximately 2 months from our first consultation. That said, each project and creation is unique, and the time may vary. When the quotation is provided, we will then be able to give you a more accurate time until you receive the delivery. You can use this as a guideline for timing:
Schedule a Consultation: 1 week
Confirm Draft Design: 1 week
Select Stone and Accept Quotation: 1 week
Approve 3D Design: 1 week
Production Completed: 2 weeks
Shipping: 2 weeks
What’s your refund/return policy?
As you have created your own custom engagement ring and selected your own diamond and gemstones, we can’t take back the item you designed. This means we can’t accept returns or offer a refund after you’ve paid to secure your diamond or gemstone.
Do you offer a guarantee or warranty? What paperwork and certificates do I receive?
We provide a comprehensive set of guarantees and warranties so that you can purchase from us confidently.
Lifetime Manufacturer Warranty
We guarantee our workmanship and will take responsibility for any structural defects.
Certificate of Authenticity
All the materials (metals, diamonds, and gemstones) we sell are authentic and properly specified in your proposal agreement.
Stone Loss Warranty
If any small stones or gems (less than €100 in value) break or fall out of their settings within 1 year after receiving your ring, we will replace the stone free of charge.
Here we have discussed how the process works when it comes to designing your own engagement ring. For more helpful tips to help you on your journey, you can read more on our blog. But if you’re ready to take the next step, you can get in touch here. Best wishes on your journey ahead, Grainne Seoige